Nine Ways to Make Money in 2020
Making money right now isn’t a pipe dream. Money is still out there, you just have to know where to look for it. The value is in the eye of the customer – how are you creating value? We reveal nine ways to make money during lockdown and post-pandemic.
- DUST OFF YOUR OLD SKILLS. Have an old skill tucked away that you haven’t used in years? Sewing, baking, writing, web development, designing, marketing; whatever it is, if another person doesn’t have the time or skills for the task, then you just became valuable to them. List your skills on Freelancer or Airtasker. Boom – you have the bones of a new business or, at the very least, an income when you need it most.
- DON’T BE TOO PROUD. Home maintenance is set to soar as we spend more time indoors. If you can clean houses, walk dogs, babysit kids, maintain gardens, change light bulbs, fix windows, dig holes, build fences or move furniture, then you can bet your bottom dollar that someone out there needs help right now. Advertise on Airtasker for some spare cash, that could potentially lead to a neat little business.
- SELL YOUR STUFF. Anything in your possession that’s not being utilised can be sold on Facebook, Gumtree, or Ebay, freeing up some much-needed mulah. If you’re thinking about selling items, then do so quickly – the value of your belongings will decrease over the next few months as people have less money to spend. Clothes, books, games, appliances, entertainment goods, boats, caravans, jet skis… the list goes on. Have a good old fashioned Marie Kondo and sell what you don’t need asap.
- FLIP. Buy something and flip it on Ebay for a higher price. Simple. Take it one step further and create a website to make a small business out of it.
- GET ANOTHER JOB. ‘But who the heck is hiring?’ I hear you ask. If you’re uncertain which industries are thriving, check out Industries That Are Set to Boom During COVID-19.
- EMPLOYEE PIVOT. Trawl your CV for other industries or roles from your former life, then edit your resume to suit the current market. This is about providing value in the current job climate. You could even reach out to your previous employers and ask them if they require contract work.
- MAKE SOMETHING. Even with the most basic background in digital design, you can create digital products and sell them on Etsy. Think invitations, artworks, motivational quotes, inspirational sayings, logos or even your own photography. On that note, if you’ve always been crafty, now is the time to sell your wares online; you may just have a booming business on your hands.
- ANSWER A QUESTION. JustAnswer allows those with specialised knowledge to answer a simple question, so the rest of us don’t have to pay a hefty sum for a consultation with an expert.
- DECREASE YOUR EXPENSES. To really free up some cash, you might look at selling your home – yes, houses are still selling. If you’re renting, look at downsizing. Alternatively, contact your landlord or mortgage lender to negotiate your payments. Additionally, be sure to contact any of your providers to get a better deal; that includes phone, internet and electricity providers. Similarly, discretionary spending should be at a halt, with no holidays, restaurants, experiences or gifts happening at the moment – those things can wait.
Have any tips of your own? Reach out to us at [email protected] We would love to post your thoughts and promote your business!